Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Farm Living is no life for me.....

This past Sunday my husband and I along with my sister-in-law and her husband ( Aunt BethAnn and Uncle Joey or B and OG as the kids would say) took the kids to Slate Run Park. It is a park with picnic areas, wildlife and wetlands. They also have this really cool fully running historic farm, with no electric or running water. Just a good old pump in the front yard. They have a smoke house where they hang the meat and a cellar with all the canned goods that they canned from their huge garden. It's pretty amazing how people lived like that. Me, I like my shower and air conditioner and all the other amenities we have now.

There are people there all the time with the old Amish looking clothes. They cook and clean and do the whole nine yards. You can take a tour of the house and the farm while they just go about there day as if no one was there. They put there clothes on the line and cook homemade soups and bread in the old kitchen. It's really neat. I used to go as a kid but I hadn't been in a long time so I thought it would be nice to take the kids. They also have alot of things for the kids to do such as corn husking, sheep sheering and they can also help feed the animals.

When we first got there we went to the park and had lunch where the kids ran around with Daddy and Uncle Joey and then we went to the farm to see the animals. It was such a nice day and the kids had alot of fun.

Here are some of the pictures we took at the park and farm:


Mason running off some energy with uncle Joey and Daddy






Mady watching as we ate lunch


Watching the chickens





The pictures of the horses didn't come out to good but I'm sure you know what horses look like


The turkey's were I think Mason's favorite, he kept calling all the birds turkey's



Last but not least the pigs. They were huge and they smelled so bad. Even Mason was covering his nose it was that bad.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! I remember going to places like that as a kid, like, Wurther's museum and Sheunbrunn... Shoenbrunn... Shun-brun. The indian village... Those kind of places. Am I a total dork that I never thought to take the girls this summer? That's going on the to-do list!

Lindsay said...

I don't know if the places your talking about are free but the place we went was so how can you beat that. A free place to spend the day and the kids had a blast. Hey now you have some new things to do. No your not a Dork we live 5 mins from the farm and we just thought about going. :)

JWilson said...

It looks liek you ahd a good time. Ian loves turkeys!

Tiffany McCallen said...

What a great idea for an outing! You guys must have had a terrific time. Cute pics!