When Madisyn had her kindergarten screening a couple of weeks back she had failed the vision testing. The school nurse had suggested I see and eye doctor and have her vision tested. So yesterday I took her to the eye doctor. The doctor was really nice. He said, "Who sent you to me today?" and I said the school nurse. He said, " ahhhh those schools, sometimes they just don't know what there talking about, lets take a look." He did a couple of test where he had her stare at the door and he shined this light in her eyes. Within 2 minutes he said yep she is definitely nearsighted. The school was right on. He said that was good that they caught that. I guess most of the time he sees kids that the school has sent to him and there is nothing wrong with there eyes. So in Mady's case the school was right.
I figured she would need glasses eventually because when she was about one she had a closed tear duct and we had to see a specialist. At that time he had told me she was showing signs of nearsightedness then and that she would need to be seen at three years old(which I never took her back for ooops! ) Also I have horrible eyes, so she was doomed......I hope my son takes after daddy. I swear kids take all the bad qualities from the parents and that makes the child. Both my kids had to have tubes after several ear infections. I had one ear infection my whole life but my husband along with his sister and brother all had tubes. Then my husbands eyes were fine up until now and mine have been bad since I was little and of course so far Mady takes after me on that. What is the deal???
Back to the doctors visit. The doctor said he hates to have to give kids of this age glasses. They end up loosing them or breaking them and then it just cost the parents a bunch of money ( glad he was considerate of my money, how did he know I was broke??? ) So he said he really doesn't want to give her glasses at this time. He said 4 year olds have enough to worry about at that age they don't need to worry about glasses. He said her eyes were very healthy and the muscles in her eyes where very strong so it wasn't like the glasses where going to do anything but help her see far away. He also said her world right now is no more than 4 feet in front of her. Kids don't need to see far away, everything they do is usually right in front of them. He decided to write me a note to the school saying she didn't need glasses at this time but if she had problems in school he told me to come see him.
I'm so glad he felt that way. I really didn't want to have to get my 4 year old glasses. I wore glasses for 7 years and I hated them. I didn't get mine until 3 rd grade though. So we will see how she does once she starts kindergarten but I think she will be fine. She has never complained about not being able to see??? When I told her she might have to get glasses she said she didn't want them she wanted contacts like me. LOL! she cracks me up.....it will be a while before you can wear contacts but nice try. I am hoping to get Lasik one of these days for myself but we will see if that happens. I've heard it's the best thing ever??? So for now we are glasses free!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Trip to the eye doctor
Posted by Lindsay at 8:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I couldn't imagine keeping glasses on my 4 year old. What a nightmare that would have been so I'm glad she doesn't need them yet. :)
I know can you imagine? ahhhh! Me too! She will down the road though. :(
Post a Comment