Monday, April 21, 2008

A little bit of relief

I mentioned in the last blog that I had taken Madisyn to her kindergarten testing last Wednesday. I have been dreading the day she starts kindergarten for a while now. I know it's going to happen and at the same time it's very exciting but I also feel that I'm loosing my little girl. I just can't believe she will be five in May and be starting kindergarten in August. Where have the last five years gone? and now that I have Mason it's gone even faster. I can't believe he will be two it seems like yesterday that I was in the hospital having him.

So here I am taking my baby girl to her testing and I am really nervous that I won't get positive feedback from the teachers. Don't get me wrong I know that she is exceptionally smart ( in my eyes anyways! ) but she is very shy and backwards most of the time. So I am just worried that her shyness will hold her back. The lady comes and takes her away and she does fine with that just like I knew she would. Then the principal comes and gets the parents and takes us to a separate room. She talks to us about the curriculum for kindergarten and the way things are done at this school. Let me just add what a difference this was from when I was in kindergarten. We played with clay and learned our letters, oh and of course you can't forget nap time. Not these days, they do full on reading, writing, mathematics, etc. She also told us she highly recommended taking in what the teachers tell us about our children because she hates to see a child struggle with school because they started to early.

I go back to the room we were in to begin with and I'm looking over all the reading material I had received. That's when the teacher comes back with Madisyn and asks if we can talk in the hallway. I'm thinking oh no she wouldn't talk and she won't be able to start kindergarten. Mrs. Dinan, Madisyn's kindergarten teacher, looks at me and says, "She did great! You should be very proud as a parent. You have a very smart little girl on your hands." Of course me being the emotional person I am, I start to tear up. I was so happy to hear that. Like I said I knew she was a smart kid but I just worried she wouldn't show them what I already knew. So I said, " That is great, I was really worried about her because she is very shy." She said, "No she did great and was very talkative to the other kids." That made me very happy to hear that. I am now feeling a lot better about the whole thing. Mady is very excited about going to school and she talks about it all the time. I am finally ready for this new adventure in our lives!

1 comments:

JWilson said...

I just have to say I like the new look, very cute.

Also Mady is a very smart kid and she will do great in school you should be very proud of her!