Monday, December 1, 2008

A day to give thanks!

Thanksgiving to me always just seems like another holiday where we get together and eat way to much, but this year was different. There is so much to be thankful for and I know I don't sit down and appreciate the things we do have as much as I should. I'm always thinking of the things I want or wish I had. I am very thankful for what we have this year. I have my wonderful kids that mean the world to me. We are all healthy (aside from the cold I have but that is hard to avoid), we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, clothes on our backs, a job (which are far and few between these days), and lots of family and friends that love us. I have to say we are pretty darn lucky these days especially with the way the economy is right now.

My husbands family lives in Green Bay, Wisconsin and we live in Ohio so every year we travel there for Thanksgiving. The past couple years we were not able to make it due to the high gas prices, we just could not afford it. This year we decided no matter what we would pack up and take the journey. Although we had to drive 10 hours with two small children it was worth it.We hadn't seen a lot of the family in a couple of years so we felt it was time. The drop in gas prices helped tremendously as well.

The kids were awesome on the trip. I could not have asked for better as far as that went. They slept most of the way and when they were awake the portable DVD players were a life savor. We also had help with the VZ Navigator on our phones. It's a GPS system that you can download on your phone. It is awesome, it tells you of traffic jams and construction. It was a life savor too! So we made it there with no trouble. We didn't get in until about 2:30 in the am and the kids slept the whole way so they were up about 4:30, so we were a little tired but non the less it was worth it. We had a great Thanksgiving with the family and I'm just glad we were able to go and spend time with them. Even though I didn't get to see my family I know that they were understanding since I see them a lot more cause they live close by.

Of course I got in a little shopping on Black Friday as well.....I never miss out on it! I know most people hate it but for some reason I love being in the middle of all that craziness. I got some really good deals too! I did have to wait in line for a half hour outside in the cold at Target but it was well worth it!

Saturday we got in some quality time with Robbie's Uncle, girlfriend and their kids. Their kids are about the same age as my kids so they love getting together since they don't see each other that often. It was really nice!

Sunday we got up at 5am and headed back to Ohio. We had some delays this time in Illinois due to the snowy weather which set us back and hour or two but we made it home safely and that is all that matters. Once again the kids were awesome and never complained once. That is rare for a 5 and 2 year old being in the car for almost 12 straight hours. So all in all our trip went well and we had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

4 comments:

JWilson said...

I'm gald the kids were good for you and you had a nice Thanksgiving. You know I think your crazy for the shopping thing but I am glad you enjoyed it. :))

Emily said...

So glad you had a nice Tday!!!
And scored good deals!

Tiffany McCallen said...

That's nothing short of a miracle (the car rides). Must be something in the air, because Noah rocked on both his 3-hour drives too. Hot dog!

The Queen said...

I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving but you missed my birthday party. Will you ever get over it?